Wednesday, October 3, 2007

So update on, what is this? Week five?

Training for a triathlon is hard. And fun. And tiring.
I was in the pool last night outside of my gym. In the dark. The water was cold. And I was by myself.
I was not thinking: "What am I doing? Working out for two hours in the dark and the cold and alone after a long day of work when I'm hungry and tired?"
I was thinking: "Why did I forget my workout sheet that tells me exactly what I'm supposed to be doing? And was that catch-up out, closed fist back in? or the other way around?"
Despite a sore calf, aching feet, a slight twinge under my left shoulder blade and a general flu-like soreness covering my entire body, I find myself saying things to people like: "You should really try this. It's fun."
When the guy at the check out line at Trader Joe's remarks that I look like I just work out and that I'm starving, I proudly tell him I'm training for a triathlon, and that I am starving. And that if I don't get food in my system in the next five minutes, my two-hour workout of swimming and weight training will be all for naught. And then I drink a protein drink in one gulp before he's done ringing up my groceries.
I am eating better. And definitely more often.
And, I reluctantly have to admit, my run felt easier the other day. (Please note I said easier, not easy.) Which makes me think I might be improving.
Right now I'm missing my track workout with Coach Neil of TriMoreFitness and all of my TAG friends. I told Neva that she isn't allowed to run faster than me next time she sees me, else it will hurt my feelings.
I worked out at lunch so that I can attend an economic forecast conference VIP dinner where I will schmooze with accountants and economists and eat bad hotel food for the next three hours.
I have to say, I would prefer to be running.
And for me, that is progres.

2 comments:

dig this chick said...

Yeah! I love that your run was fabulous! That is how I interpret easier.

paige said...

You are inspiring.....my body aches to move....but i ignore it and remain in front of the computer.

maybe you can be my trainer when i return. I will need one, a hot, bad ass muscular one, who laughs loudly and shares a dog with me, preferably.